Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between interior architecture and interior design?

According to the classification of Instructional Programs developed by the US Department of Education National Center for Education Statistics, Interior Architecture is “a program that prepares individuals to apply architectural principles in the design of structural interiors for living, recreational, and business purposes and to function as a professional (designer). Includes instruction in architecture, structural systems design, heating and cooling systems, occupational and safety standards, interior design specific end-use applications, and professional responsibilities and standards.”

Interior Design is described as “a program in the applied visual arts that prepares individuals to apply artistic principles and techniques to the professional planning, designing, equipping, and furnishing of drafting and graphic techniques; principles o interior lighting; acoustics, systems integration, and color coordination; furniture and furnishings; textiles and their finishing; the history of (interiors) and period styles; basic structural design; building codes and inspection regulations; and applications to office, hotel, factory, restaurant and housing design.”

What are possible career paths after graduation with a BFA in Interior Architecture? 

Our students are employed by design firms specializing in interior design, architecture and engineering, healthcare, hospitality, retail, fine  and graphic art, furniture, institutional and commercial conditions, preservation, film, home furnishings, museums and exhibition, lighting, residential, showroom and more.

Will UNCG accept all my credits from a community college?

In most cases, we accept courses from community colleges under the UNC system articulation agreement with the community college system.  However, approval of courses for major credit is handled on a case-by-case basis and requires a review of transcripts and a portfolio.

Can I present my portfolio of art/design work for review for admission?

We do not require a portfolio review for admission into the undergraduate program except in cases of students applying for advanced placement including transfers.  However, the required design submission can be from students previous work.

What happens if I am unable to attend an open house?

We are happy to arrange a personal interview and tour of facilities at a convenient time.  If a prospective student lives too far away to attend an open house, a phone interview can be arranged.

Can I start taking classes in the spring?

Students can begin taking classes in the spring, but the course offerings are limited for those students without design transfer credits.  The eight-course studio sequence begins in the fall semester and can only be begun at that point.

Can I take a double major or minor in another subject?

This is possible, but you should be aware that it might take you additional time to complete all requirements.

Are you accredited by CIDA?

Yes, and we were the first program in North Carolina to be accredited by CIDA in 1993.

Can I apply for scholarships now?

Some university-wide merit scholarships are available at the time of admission, but students apply for most scholarships during the fall semester of each year.  Awards are made in the following spring semester.

What is the deadline for applying for fall admission?

IARc has rolling admissions. Once you are accepted by the university, the department will process your application and contact you regarding admission. We prefer to seat our first year class by August 1.

How much is tuition?

Information on tuition and fees is available on the UNCG Cashiers and Student Accounts Office website,

Can I become registered as an architect with this degree?

No, you must attend an architecture program accredited by NAAB to undertake architectural licensure. Many of our students become qualified interior designers after sitting for the NCIDQ (National Council for Interior Design Qualification) exam.

Will my child be safe in off-campus housing?

Greensboro is a safe city, and the UNCG Campus Police cooperate with the Greensboro Police Department to make the campus and its environs a model for cooperative law enforcement and public safety.

Do I need drawing classes before beginning IARc?

IARc students complete a series of five graphics and drawing courses. Students get a significant education in visual communication. Many IARc students have never had drawing courses beforehand.

Is parking available for students?

Parking permits can be purchased by all students.  There is a range of choices, including parking decks, surface lots, and satellite lots with bus transportation to campus.  UNCG teams with the City of Greensboro to provide free bus transportation for students to locations throughout the city using the HEAT bus (Higher Education Area Transit) and bicycling to campus is encouraged.

Where can I get information on your graduate program?

Additional information about our graduate program can be found on the web at: and